is one of the best exercises for your feet," says
APMA President Dr. Lloyd Smith. "The Best Walking
City Competition encourages Americans living in cities
to get out and walk in an effort to keep their feet and
On the cusp of the nation's capital, it may come as
no surprise that 23 percent of the city's workers use
public transportation to get around. Keeping on their
feet may be a way of life, since 35 percent of Arlingtonians
walk for exercise.
San Francisco, CA: Getting to work by foot
is not uncommon for this city by the bay, with nine
percent of residents walking and two percent biking.
This walking-conducive city touts that 32 percent of
its residents walk for exercise and 35 percent buy athletic shoes.
Seattle, WA: It's not too far-fetched to
expect a healthy lifestyle from residents living in
Seattle. A whopping 35 percent walk for exercise and
36 percent buy some type of athletic shoes.
Portland, OR: Residents of this Northwestern
city spend a good deal of time on their feet walking
their dogs. Close to 22 percent are dog owners.
5. Boston, MA: For many Bostonians, walking to work or using public transportation is a way of life with 45 percent of the population doing one or the other.
6. Washington, DC: Getting around the nation's capital by subway or bus is preferred by 35 percent of the district's residents. And when they are not working, 11 percent are playing sports or walking for fitness.
7. New York City, NY: Getting around the Big Apple is easy for New Yorkers with 51 percent of residents using public transportation and 12 percent walking to work.
8. Eugene, OR: Walking is a way of life for 32 percent of residents living in this Oregon city. Whether it's walking the dog or pushing a stroller, twenty-two percent are dog owners and eight percent own baby strollers.
9. Jersey City, NJ: Public transportation or walking is how 47 of the people who work in this gritty town get around. And when they are not working, 12 percent of the residents play sports or exercise once a week.
10. Denver, CO: This versatile city lends itself to those in search of an active lifestyle. Eleven percent of residents walk for fitness or exercise and 12 percent play sports or exercise once a week.